Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ze flatlanders. Or not.

When I entered the house, Ma'd just settled into Kaun Banega Crorepati, with all the anticipation of watching the guy win 5 crores. When are you going to cook dinner? she asked. Cuz I'd promised last night that I would. Aalu ka shorva. I replied non-committally, and later, when Mr Bachchan asked something about what had Bal Gangadhar Tilak accepted in dowry, besides some khadi, I burst out, 'two potatoes?'

Mother dear was all shocked, she was. 'Two potatoes?!' Meanwhile, Mr Bachchan was reeling out options for that 1 crore question, and only when she saw that none of them options was two potatoes, did she calm down. "Mm," I replied, "and three spoons of oil?" 'The potatoes are tiny,' ma considered aloud, 'use three. no, all four.' And I scurried into the kitchen to find them.

I tell you, if I believed in spirits and devils, and the like, the first place I'd go looking for them is in the just-sprouted eyes of them 'tatoes. Downright scary, they are. And ebil.

---
I beg yer pardon, if the title was more interesting than the post. But I shan't beg forgiveness, if said title is in need of elaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment