Monday, September 27, 2010

Simplicity

Evenfall

We sat by our lake,
Sumedha and I,
letting go thoughts 
in ripples rapidly moving away from us
towards the Sunset.

Five lines I'm immensely proud of. Because they taught me that I can capture a moment into words, without providing context or explanation or detail. And I wouldn't lose anything of value; it would, in fact, be much more powerful this way.

Here's what it originally was:
(I wouldn't call this first draft. A zeroth draft perhaps, a scrawl of what I wished to put into them poem.) 

Lake:
We found a lil' lake in our campus, Sumedha and I,
we walked around and inspected its (boundaries?) 
The water was greenish but clear
then sat down at its banks,
legs dangling into the water.


We softly splashed the waters,
In the silence letting go thoughts
and creating ripples moving away from us
creating thoughts and ripples 
rapidly moving away from us.


I concentrated(?) on one ripple
The lake was still
It was I that was 
moving away
somewhere serene and peaceful.


(when we headed back) to our hostel,
my companion smiled--
this shall be our secret.
Yes, I replied, this shall be our lake.