Monday, December 6, 2010

Birthday surprises (Dec 4th 2009)

I do not know if I shall ever have the patience to write about this year's birthday, but here's last year's:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My friends have a way of surprising me. Even when I'm expecting a surprise.

The general equation goes like this:
Hostel + b'day = midnite party
When it comes to our gang, it modifies a lil.
Hostel + bday = (midnite + 10 mins) party

And it's very convenient too. The 10 mins you can attend to all those 12 o clock phone calls.

And last nite, I spoke to jiji, and then, Ajita called. She asked if my friends wished me, etc, and I replied that I know they are up to something, though I'm not supposed to know that. I told, also, that I can talk to her till 12:10 or so. And we talked happily till 12: 15.

Then, I found everyone outside my room, and on my desk, was a small parcel addressed


TO
NITIKA MATHUR
RO. NO:- 149
MEERA BHAWAN
BITS PILANI HYDERABAD CAMPUS
PINCODE: 500076

:-)


(I later learned that no one knew who drew the smiley)

I opened the gift to everybody's "happy birthday to you.." It was a lovely showpiece that read "DEAR FRIEND", and had two figures smiling sweetly, and lots of flowers. And a birthday card that seemed tailor made for me. It was signed "From all who love you". I read aloud the card, we took photos, and played around in general, until one by one, all went back to their rooms to study for the Mech Sol exam (don't ask!)

This morning, I studied a lil' , took a head bath, and happy that it was my bday, that I looked pretty, went back to studying. The exam was - didn't I tell you not to ask? and then...

Soumya'd called, and Kedari while I was busy with my exam; and so I spoke to them*, cleaned my room**, took piccies, and whiled about the time with Shikki and Shravi, until Shravya declared at 7:20 that she was sleeeepy.

So Shravya sleepy translates somehow to Shravya and Shiksha and Nitika should sleep, and so she orders me off. "Nitzi, sleep." She lures me with an "sleep now, Nitzi and we'll wake u in half and hour and then we'll eat dinner at 8, sleep at 10, and wake up at 6 tomorrow morning and go walking.". Pray, how can I resist that? And so I went back very dutifully to my room, dutifully switched off the light, and very undutifully called home instead of sleeping.

I got out of my room at 8 20, and found everyone in priya's room. "Nitzi! Go comb your hair, we'll go to the mess". I figured that I wasn't allowed to enter. After "Nitzi, put a hair clip" and "Shavi, I put on two, now what?" and "put on one more!", I was (officially) called in. Lights off, and candles glowing. It could only mean cake. awww! how sweet of them. The expected surprise in an unexpected way- I'd thought the party was done with last night.

I don't know how we ended up in my room after that, but we did. And we found the thermocol packing of last night's gift. It began tentatively, the -ahh what do you call it? when we break and rub and in general separate each lil ball from the sheets? whatever! We soon lost any inhibitions about messing the room, and were - there, I'm stuck again!- we were blowing them on each others faces, sprinkling em on heads (It tickles!!). We laughed and played and messed around till all of it was finished, till everybody's hair was filled with tiny white balls, and my bed and blankets and floor looked as if they'd been hit by a storm.

And so, I had a luuuuvly time, and am gonna hav a luvlier time cleaning it all tomorrow**. Now? It's 1:36 am - will u compare with the 10 o clock dream time? and I'm sleeeeepy. Good night!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Discarded line: the poor thing couldn't find a place anywhere, but I luv it:

" My friends surprise me with their surprises, and I luv them for it. Thank you soooo much, pepl!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

**I was bitten by the cleaning bug, about this time last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment