Saturday, December 11, 2010

Looking back...

Written in then end of July. Typed and edited on Oct 19th. Posted on the first day of my winter break.

The last one month of my summer break was --- unsolitary(if you'll allow me to invent words). Intoxicating, really. I remember warmth and laughter and sudden spells of despondency that were shooed away by some activity or the other. And ‘Cuz I am entirely too much a tactile person (and in no particular order),


Impressions of a summer break. In touch.



Daddy: I linger in his embrace longer than customary—I feel an intense comfort there, then an equally intense resentment when he pushes me away.

Ma: I find my way into the kitchen, and begin to wash the dishes. She reaches from behind and says, “I love you”. Again, she withdraws much sooner than I’d like.

Dadi: I offer her my hand in greeting, and she takes it, in a grip too tight for comfort, and yet comforting.

Jiji: We spend the morning in bed, snuggled against each other, and giggling over ridiculous nothings. We fight over one such nothing, then get out of bed.

Rafa Nadal: I feel inordinately happy as I go through his pictures, and suddenly wish to reach out and touch that smiling cheek.

Chacha: I try to nestle up to him, he looks at me questioningly. I smile uncertainly, then shrug and join in the general conversation.

Neha: (At the airport) she snuggles into a big, affectionate hug, “goodbye,” even as she whines that I do look good in T-shirts.

Kerul: His hand slips out of mine, as we walk down the street; he knows the way home, he says.

Daddy, again: His legs are warm, as I press them; they hurt, badly, and I feel that pain it in my bosom.

Pranita jiji: We exchange fond smiles and a light hug in greeting, then turn fonder smiles towards her daughter.

Sanchi: Her lips brush this darlingly against my cheek when I ask for a kiss, and then she returns to whatever has been amusing her.

Soumya: We have a cheerful meal, and when it is time to say goodbye, I touch her cheek, “take care” and we exchange a light embrace.

Kartheik: It is a virtual world; fingers fly over the keyboard, and touch does not know to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment