Thursday, January 13, 2011

Of bikimax, colour cards, and a warm fire

Once upon a time, long, long ago, when Earth was young, many moons ago (well, you get the drift, or more likely, you're out of patience with me) the bakery near my house sold bikimax: vanilla ice cream sand-witched between chocolate biscuit. I was nicely dismissive about it the first time I tried it, (tolerable, but not yummy enough to tempt me*) but soon, I began to be conscious that I actually liked it, that it was warm and cold at the same time--(okay, now I'm exaggerating, but as you read on, you'll get where I got the whole metaphor from) like standing in front of a bonfire on a cold January night.

On Sunday afternoons, we'd go to the neighbourhood shops to buy something nice after lunch, my sister would go for a bar-one, kit-kat, or something like that, ma's choice was almost always a dairy milk, and me? all I'd want is a bikimax. Oh, it felt good!

And then Kwality Walls stopped making it. hmph.

Well, today my friends found something like it in our campus bakery, and I am all excited.

Speaking of excited, we all went a lil' crazy about these little somethings called colour cards which come free with Center fruit chewing gum. We went to Monginis for the express purpose of buying 'em, and ended up with two center fruits, two yo-yos (which are s'posed to be free with alpenlibe) and after pestering the shopkeeper who couldn't find the color cards, four of 'em. #grin#

And now the warm fire. Our campus is celebrating Lohri today, and I found myself in the football ground, a little away from the crowd that was dancing around the fire, enjoying the beat of the drums and smiling at the fervor and energy of them all. Before you ask, no, I did not dance.

Later, I stood by the fire with my friends as the rest danced to the DJ. Life's good, sometimes.


___________

* Borrowed from Jana Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It always amuses me to steal Darcy's line.

No comments:

Post a Comment