Sunday, January 30, 2011

Of Bangles and Ramblings.

These are chaubandi chudiyan I'm wearing, traditional--auspicious--bangles worn by our family during weddings, etc. I insisted on pics; I adore them.

I adore bangles. Period. But there is something extra special in wearing these glass bangles. Perhaps it is the weight of tradition. Perhaps it is the sense of belonging, that these adorn the hands of every woman of my family. #shrug#


The order is 4 red, 4 yellow, 7 green, and then 4 yellow and 4 red. For an unmarried girl, that is. Married women wear two extra green bangles on the front (make of that what you will).

If you have the patience to count the green bangles on my right hand, you will find eight. Absentminded, scatterbrained creature, I am. That, or I do not know how to count. Meh.

Now don't go counting 'em on my left hand. You'll find six. Which, by the way, is not due to the extra on my right. The story is way too meandering to be accounted for by such simple reasoning. It never is easy with me, you know. I always have to think too much. Always take the circuitous route. Sometimes, even when the straight one  is right in front of my eyes. And no, it is not me being stubborn; I have this propensity to somehow 'not see' the elephants in the room.

There, I shan't bore you any more.

4 comments:

  1. Leave aside the bangles. The mehendi is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That it is, but I couldn't really write half a page worth of nothing on it. Or perhaps you'd like to read a post on, say, all the fuss I made over it.
    Besides, it's not often that I get to wear those bangles, and I do not need an occasion for mehendi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I've edited the post--added a para more like--on why I wouldn't leave them aside.

    ReplyDelete