Friday, July 30, 2010

Illusions

written on 24 Sept 09

I have often stood at a terrace and stared at buildings fade and lose identity, until it finds the horizon. Then, there's the platitude about the horizon: it will not come nearer however further you walk. And then, there's the old platitude: the comparison between time and distance.

Funny I never bothered to connect these three into the proper sequence that they form: The future fades and loses identity as we go further and further away in time.

I mean, I know that now I am to pull my hair over Database Management when I'd done pulling my hair over putting my notions into words. Tomorrow, I have a idea of what I'll do in the day. And then, I know I'm going home the day after, but I have a vague image in my head of what I'd actually do. The rest of this sem, I know what subjects I'll have, and roughly what extra-curricular stuff I'm up to. In the next three years I will continue here in BITS, in the same campus. And then, I've reached my horizon. After that, the future becomes "the future". And in the future, I will have a lovely husband and live a charmed life. And yet, it is as empty a dream as that charmed place beyond the horizon. It will not come nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment