Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pencil vs Pen

(Or) Regrets
written in Jan 2010

I am, for some reason, more comfortable with pencil than with pen. And in this case, I know what that some reason is: Pencil can be erased, you see. If anything does not turn out as intended, erase it. If you can improve upon it, it's as easy as erase and rewrite.

But, you see, even when there's no eraser in sight, I stick to my beloved pencil. I stick to the thought that I can go back home in the evening and erase it. More often than not, I don't, but I stick to that comfort nevertheless. And so, you will find easily scribbling away ideas in dark grey, putting as light a pressure as possible, and in as tiny a size as I please.

I wish life was pencil, not pen. I wish for an eraser to erase away my social gaucherie, to do away with regrets: I should have stayed silent, I should have said this, not that. To erase away bad memories. Of course, I like to think that this option would be much like my hypothetical "I'll erase it once I get home". I'd not do it, that is, just have the comfort that I could, if I wished.

But even a pencil can not save me from regrets of another sort; it can not write on its own.

1 comment: